Monday, October 28, 2013

Hunk of Meat Monday: "Grandma's" Chili

 
With the cooler weather arriving, it's high time for some soups, stews and chili!
 
This chili is super easy, and is one of my favorites. My grandmother used to make it - hence, "Grandma's Chili" - and my mom makes it, and now I've started to make it. It's perfect for a potluck, dinner, or just a cold afternoon pick-me-up.
 
It's actually called "Francis Manzoni's Above Par BBQ Beans", but since that's a really long name for chili, and Francis wasn't my grandmother, I'll stick with "Grandma's". 
 
Ingredients:
1 - 1 1/2 pound ground beef, or venison
1 1/2 onions, chopped
2/3 cup red wine vinegar
2 Tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 Giant can Stagg's Chili with Beans
 
Brown the meat and onions together in a large pot.
Add all other ingredients and simmer for 1/2 hour, or more.
See. I told you it was easy!
 
 
The last time I made this chili, I made a side of cornbread to go with it. This recipe is off the side of the Albers Yellow Corn Meal box.
 
Makes 12 servings
1 cup Albers Yellow Corn Meal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
 
Preheat oven to 400*F. Grease 8-inch square baking pan.
Combine corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Combine milk, oil and egg in small bowl; mix well. Add milk mixture to flour mixture; stir just until blended. Pour into prepared pan.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Serve warm.
 
 
I like to top my chili with shredded cheese and more onions. What's your favorite Chili topping?
 

No comments: